Bodywhys is the national voluntary organisation dedicated to supporting people affected by eating disorders. Bodywhys provides a range of support services for people affected by eating disorders, including specific services for families and friends.
Its support services include:
- Bodywhys Helpline and Email Support
- Support Groups: Bodywhys operates two types of peer support groups: one for people with eating disorders and another for families and friends.
- BodywhysConnect 19+ is a free, online support group currently on offer due to Covid-19 restrictions to people with eating disorders aged 19 years and over. It is run by trained facilitators and is supervised by the Bodywhys Support Officer.
- YouthConnect is a free, online support group currently offered due to Covid-19 restrictions to people with eating disorders aged 13 - 18 years. It is run by trained facilitators and is supervised by the Bodywhys Support Officer.
- PiLaR (Peer-Led-Resilience) programme for Families: a free four-week (delivered once a week, over 2 hours) structured programme, incorporating both psycho-education and support, as well as practical advice and skills to help you support your family member towards recovery. The programme focusses on understanding and managing eating disorders in the home, communication and active listening skills, the recovery process, coping with relapse and other aspects of the condition.
Bodywhys also works directly with schools, developing resources and lesson plans for teachers to use in promoting positive body image and self esteem, and delivering the ‘Be Body Positive’ programme on request to young people at Post Primary level
Target Group: People with eating disorders and families and friends affected by this.
How to access: For personal support and advice, to make contact by the helpline and by Email Support. For other queries, to contact national office and or go to Bodywhys website.
National Office: (01) 283 4963
Helpline: (01) 210 7906
Email Support: firstname.lastname@example.org