North Tipperary Development Company
North Tipperary Development Company (NTDC) Traveller Programme aims to counter the disadvantage experienced by Travellers across the North of Co. Tipperary. Working in partnership with the HSE, Tipperary County Council and other agencies, the programme promotes equality of access and outcomes for Travellers in the county.
Primary Healthcare Project
The Primary Healthcare Project (PHP) delivers peer-led primary healthcare services to the Traveller Community in Thurles and Roscrea, respectively, and their surrounding areas. The PHP provides culturally appropriate and accessible health information on priority health issues as identified in the All Ireland Traveller Health Study, as well as on issues identified locally. Their work is determined by national health targets, the regional Mid West Traveller Health Unit plan, and local needs. The projects aim to:
- Increase the knowledge of health and health services among the Traveller community
- Increase health promoting behaviour in the community
- Increase awareness among service providers of the barriers to accessing services experienced by the Traveller community.
Family Support Project
The Family Support Project (FSP) provides support to Traveller families to build their strengths/resilience and respond to challenging issues in a way that is culturally sensitive and competent. The FSP supports Traveller families and young people to develop and achieve the five national outcomes in a way that respects, values and includes their culture in support actions.
- It is an early intervention and prevention programme
- Support is provided to parents and families in their own homes and communities
- Family Support with other agencies to support families with housing, health and social work
- During Covid-19, Family Support has been working remotely and a social media page has been established to support and give information to Families. Contact with Families is on going via WhatsApp and telephone.
- The services accept referrals from agencies and self-referrals from the Traveller community.
Traveller Advocacy Project
The Traveller Advocacy Project (TAP) is based in Nenagh and Templemore. The aim of the Advocacy Project is to provide support to and build the capacity of the Traveller Community in the two towns. The Advocacy Worker provides individual support around personal, family, educational and economic issues as well as facilitates personal development opportunities and collective actions to respond to broader issues within the Traveller community.
The Advocacy Project works closely with local stakeholders and service providers to ensure personal needs of individuals are addressed in a timely manner as well as to stimulate partnerships between Travellers and service providers in response to issues identified by the Traveller Community.
The Advocacy Worker also works closely with the Primary Healthcare and Family Support teams in relation to responding the Covid-19 public health crisis and communicating public health messages on social media.
Traveller Men’s Project
The Traveller Men’s Project (TMP) was established in recognition of the difficulties and discrimination Traveller men experience in education and employment. The TMP aims to engage Traveller men in order to build trusting relationships and identify priority issues. The Men’s worker is responsible for providing one-to-one support and facilitating collective actions aimed at improving the health and wellbeing of Traveller Men as well as creating pre-employment and employment opportunities and supporting Social Enterprise development.
Target group: Travellers aged 18 years and upwards, Traveller Families
- Self referral by families
- Referrals to the Family Support Project can be made by any agency on the Traveller Family Support Referral Form.
- Referral to the Traveller Primary Healthcare Projects can be made by contacting HSE Public Health Nursing service and Traveller Programme Coordinator, NTDC.
Contact details: Traveller Programme Coordinator
- Traveller Family Support Project: North Tipperary.
- Roscrea Primary Healthcare Project: Roscrea, Borrisokane, Ballingarry (North Tipperary) and Cloughjordan.
- Thurles Primary Healthcare Project: Thurles, Littleton, Drom & Inch, Two Mile Borris, and Horse & Jockey.