The Adult Learning Service is a confidential basic adult education service for those whose skills range from very low-level literacy and language skills to those who want to improve their basic skills.
Learners are given opportunities to work towards accreditation at NFQ (National Framework of Qualifications) levels 1, 2 or 3.
English language learners are given the opportunities to work towards accreditation at CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) levels A2 and B1.
The service's priority is to help adults with primary education or less and whose literacy and numeracy skills are below level 3 on the NFQ. Our adult literacy courses are primarily for adults who:
- have low skills in reading/ writing and/or numeracy
- want to improve reading, writing, numeracy and oral skills
- want help with grammar and spelling
- want help with numeracy
- want to improve their skills to help children with homework
- want to learn basic computer skills
- want to get a qualification at NFQ levels 1, 2 and 3
Skills for Work courses are available to participants who have old or outdated skills, including those up to Leaving Certificate, and who:
- would like to upskill in IT
- would like to upskill in Communication Skills
- would like to upskill in Language Skills
- would like to upskill in Maths
- would like to gain a qualification at NFQ levels 1, 2, 3 and 4.
ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) classes are available to participants who have English language skills below B1 on the Common European Framework and who:
- Would like to upskill in reading, writing, listening and speaking in English.
- Would like to gain accreditation at NFQ levels 1,2,3 and 4 or A2, B1 on the CEFR.
The Family Learning project works with communities, schools and parents/guardians to support their children’s and their own learning. The project liaises with the agency/organisation/group who wants to engage initially to explore needs and expectations. We then provide trained and experienced tutors to deliver bespoke programmes to meet these expressed needs.
Examples of courses include:
- Settling into primary school
- Health and Well-being
- Maths for primary school
- Helping my child with homework
- Folklore across cultures
- Grow it forward – Horticulture
- Supporting my child to transition from primary to secondary school
- Accessing school digital platforms for learning and information
Ester Mackey, Adult Literacy Organiser
Address: Lifelong Learning Service, Martyrs’ Road, Nenagh E45 X579
Tel. (067) 31845
Mary Roche, Adult Literacy Organiser
Address: Dillon St, Clonmel, E91 FR52
Tel. (052) 612 7543
Lavinia English, Adult Literacy Organiser (Skills for Work & ESOL)
Address: Further Education & Training Centre, TETB, Archerstown Business Park, Thurles E41 YH58
Tel. (0504) 20384